I always thought I was careful about the products my family used. Usually I read every label, but with teenagers in the house, sometimes shampoos and other cosmetics sneak their way in without my knowledge! Recently I have read several articles about a chemical flagged by many dermatologists as the cause of skin problems.
According to articles in the Guardian, the Daily Mail and Natural News, methylisothiazolinone, or MI, has led to a massive increase
in eczema and other skin allergies in recent years, and doctors are calling on
regulators to ban the chemical. I went through our cupboards and sure enough, I found a few cosmetics with MI in them. They can be found in just about any product including sunscreen, shaving cream and shampoo, among others. It really pays to read every label carefully and warn other family members about this chemical.
For more information on MI, check out:
If you are looking for safe sun lotions for the whole family, we have found that Green People and Aloe Pura products work well for us. They are costlier, but worth every penny if they don't cause skin problems and other negative side effects!
Enjoy the sunshine!